With so many commercial warehouse management software applications out there, choosing the proper one for your small business can be a pain. Indeed, in most cases, small to midsize businesses feature a narrow focus, for instance, online retailers and specialty product retailers. That is why the common open source management system can hardly satisfy all the requirements of such business.
The needed stack of features is not the only thing to pay attention to upon choosing the proper management software for your small business. There are other things your best-suiting warehouse management solution should include. To help you save time, we’ve created a list of these criteria. So, let’s take a closer look.
So, to ensure your warehouse management system matches the needs of your small business, here are seven factors to evaluate:
- Your supply chain management software has the needed set of features. Typically, the default features of any warehouse management system include the following: barcode scanners, different accounting methods, online payment, batch picking and packing, as well as some financial reporting, automatic data backup, and, automatic reorder reminders. More advanced inventory management software might feature some PO and sales management tools, customized invoices and order forms, and even predictive analytics. The other warehouse operations may be added upon request. It goes without saying that everything here depends on your product’s needs. For instance, Cloud Vanline is a SaaS WMS solution covering all features the logistics company might need to perform business operations.
- Your warehouse software can be directly integrated with the ecommerce platform your site is using. The most popular ecommerce platforms are WooCommerce or Shopify and in most cases, the majority of inventory system software solutions can be fully integrated with them in a snap. Though, be ready that it might take some time to integrate the other ecommerce platform to your site.
- The chosen software solution includes a licensing model that allows adjusting to the financial needs of your small business at any given time. Make sure that rather than requiring special form of contractual agreement, the charges the vendor gives you are based on the transaction, per user, or system functionality. Remember not to sign additional contractual agreements.
- The CRM software you would like to use offers embedded reporting to track inventory in real time along with advanced analytics, and predictive capabilities. The embedded analytics can help you optimize your workflow and improve your customer loyalty. The ultimate control software combined with planning software will help your small business limit your time and money expenses.
- The chosen inventory management software features the military-level anti-theft security. That includes data encryption, anti-theft and anti-virus protection and data backup. Plus, it should also guarantee secure replenishment and quick inventory moves.
- The business management software you are to use is not only cloud based, but also includes regular updates and bug fixes aiming to guarantee almost 100% error-free performance. Of course, if the software hasn’t been updated for quite a long, it can hardly remain competitive and thus, with it, your business has lower chances to gain competitive advantage. If you ask for professional help, you can optimize and automate every business process.
- The warehouse management system you have chosen is either customizable or developed from scratch by professional developers. Yes, there are numerous open source ecommerce platforms these days, but only some of them can suit your small and mid business needs. Plus, a good IT partner can immediately deliver great results as well as in the long run.
The Bottom Line
Thus, these are the seven major things to think before opting to any WMS system. Moreover, we would like to mention that despite the fact that there rather many supply chain management software solutions on the market, sometimes, it might be smart to first think about the key features your business might require and get your custom software developed by professionals, such as Artelogic. Still not convinced? Have a look at the logistics software we have developed for the logistics company – Cloud Vanline. They’ve already benefited from higher efficiency, better business management, order management, and a huge cut on costs. It’s your turn now!